Thursday, August 28, 2008

What I call COMPENSATION!



I am often asked what I eat.  Well... just about everything. Ok, with a few exceptions... soda, artificial sweeteners & cold fried turnips.  (The last one was for my mom.)  I've always had a sweet tooth.  Dark chocolate is my favorite. Mix it with mint?  Even better.  I've tried cutting al sweets out & I've interviewed so many women who've done the same; but craziness ensues.  

This is what I know...

When I focus on tanking my body with "Super Foods" I feel empowered.  I truly believe our Heavenly Creator made it to be that way.  Our bodies were not meant to consume rubbish. 

So... what are some of my Super Foods.  No. 1 on my list - leafy greens!!!!!

I LOVE that salads are as versatile as chicken.  I enjoy eating salads because it can take me up to 20 minutes to eat a beautiful salad.  I like to add one slice of artisan bread on the side toasted with a little EVOO... instead of using croutons (just preference).  It feels fancy to me anyway. 

For my favorite Savory Salad I add any combonation of the following:  
Shredded or Matchstick carrots
Diced Beets
Sugar Snap Peas
Any other veggies
Northern Beans (Rinsed and Drained)
Sun-dried tomatoes
Frozen peas
Shredded Broccoli
Canned Artichoke Hearts
1 T. Olive Oil
Fresh Squeezed Lemon
1-2 T. Crumbled Feta or Blue Cheese
Fresh Black Pepper

There are so many Sweet Salads.  
As of late, I really enjoy fresh chunks of pineapple, dried cherries, 1 -2 T. pecans, EVOO or vinaigrette.  A little cottage cheese on the side is great.

So many ways to prepare.... everything from Asian to Taco, etc.  

Sidenote:  Salads can take a lot of time to prepare and when I am in a hurry it doesn't work with my flow... so I do splurge and buy the carrots/broccoli/romaine (etc.) shredded if I know I have a hectic week or busy time ahead. I do not feel bad about spending good money on good food. I enjoy it even more!  

I do not buy products that are Fat Free or Light except for 'Light' Dressings & Mayo.  If you need to extend your 1-2 T of dressing I like adding lemon/lime juice to it.

I know you have lots of other ideas... feel free to share!

So compensation is what I do.  I only eat within the 'context of hunger'.  I really like to leave a little room to enjoy something sweet at the end (like my chocolate), still within the 'green light' signal.  If I know I'm going out to dinner with friends or my man I compensate for it earlier in the day by eating light.  I have too; otherwise, I pay for it in more ways than one! There are lots of ways to compensate our eating.     

    


Related Posts with Thumbnails