Friday, September 5, 2008

Caution Portion Distortion

In terms of food, it is truly amazing how little our bodies need.  

~Use a salad plate instead of a dinner plate.  
~Use measuring cups to check the amount.  
~Read the labels for serving size. 
(Most serving sizes are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.  If you are wanting to consume less than that, take it into consideration.  You might want to adjust even the "suggested serving" size.)

For our children's sake:
I serve up their plate and then put the food away.  
I do not serve meals "family style".  

If they say they are still "hungry" I try to suggest another activity like reading, playing outside, etc and say, "Let's have our tummies settle."  
(I was interviewed by the newspaper a while back on the health and activity of our children.  More to come on that and my thoughts.)

Rarely do children come back for more; but if they do (after 20 minutes or so) I give them a little something like fruit, veggie or small glass of milk or juice.

Try the same for yourself!  
Focus on making your life something other than food!  Focus on the ACTIVITY and making memories with the ones you love.  Distraction can be key.  Do what you love!
This is about YOU and loving your life and your body.

Ugh... just looking at this picture makes me feel exhausted!


Related Posts with Thumbnails