Monday, July 13, 2009

Swim Lessons

I've been checking on Adele (our adopted mother duck)each day since she took up residency in my landscaping. She is such a good mama. I think she really likes it here. Who wouldn't? For one, we've been feeding her bread & crackers & two, just imagine a bright crayon yellow canopy of lilies as the roof over your head. BEAUTIFUL!

She's been there rain or shine, patiently sitting & waiting.

Four days ago her eggs began to hatch. There they were being welcomed into this world by on-lookers of the Summers Clan. We were SO excited! Little did we know there were so many in their clan!

Two days ago (Sat.) I went to check on her. She was gone. Immediately Sophie & I grabbed our bikes & raced around the corner to the frog pond. I knew it! There she was giving each little 'ball of puff' their first swimming lesson. With the binoculars & camera in hand we sat for over an hour watching one event unfold after another!

Look how happy she is... she's so proud of her baby ducklings. (If you click on the picture it will enlarge and you can see that she is SMILING! Truly.)

Twelve baby ducks, yes count them, TWELVE!!



Related Posts with Thumbnails